A platform for Nepalese entrepreneurs, with a product that have proven market potential and strong prospects to reach out to a wider audience and create global impact, as they join change-makers from around the world in pre-mentoring program and international bootcamp at Slush Global Impact Accelerator in Helsinki, Finland.
Slush Global Impact Accelerator is a program created in collaboration with the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and multiple partners globally. The purpose is to create a leading global program to support startups that are looking to solve some of the most pressing global challenges and contributing to the discussion on impact investing.
Slush Global Impact Accelerator 2017 brings impactful entrepreneurs from emerging markets to Helsinki to accelerate their business, attract additional financing and make an even greater impact on their societies and beyond. The program includes online pre-event coaching and Helsinki boot camp program in November , 2017 culminating in Slush.
Today, it is not surprising at all if a startup takes the world by storm. We have very good reasons to believe Nepalese startups can do just that. All we need is the right platform.
Like Slush Global Impact Accelerator Pitching Competition.
Slush acts as a bridge between startups and investors, media and executives. Here in Nepal, we have startups and we have established companies with innovative products that are not just nationally significant but also have international prospects. Right now, an opportunity to take these products to international investors is not just less, but nonexistent. Slush GIA could be a pioneer in taking Nepalese products to an important international platform of a huge scale such as Slush.
Last Year we organized the first Slush GIA pitching event for the first time which was a huge success. Two of our three finalists were selected by the Helsinki selection team who received an opportunity to attend Slush Global Impact Accelerator in Helsinki. There they got a chance to be part of bootcamp where they attended the capacity building workshops with leaders from all around the world. They were among the 2,300 startups gathered at Slush to take their companies to the next level. Nearly 6,000 investor–startup meetings, mostly pre-booked online, took place.
Slush GIA is a huge platform, be very very prepared for it. You will find yourself among the titans of the world's tech industry and you will be judged accordingly. Focus on brevity, numbers and precision. Slush GIA taught me a lot about adding magic to a pitch, getting insights from numbers, and the art of solving the biggest problem you can find with the least amount of resources. The lessons I have learnt on these fronts have made me a better communicator, bitchier manager and a more cunning strategist. Tangible impact the trip had on HoneyGuide will be seen soon enough. Stay tuned. And I hope your journey to Helsinki will be even more eventful than mine.
Visit to the incubator called startup sauna taught a lot about co-creating the values via purposeful technologies. Slush GIA created so many rushes to attend every stages that were performed with different interests. It was a flood of information, learning, demonstration, people, ideas, and networks. Everyone were busy on making a match to their business either they are seeking for investors, customers, partners or media exposure. I had met four match to the investors, two from Europe, one from Asia and one media of Nepal by using the match making tool provided by Slush Team. But I had more fruitful sessions on informal meetings where I got some useful contacts which could make some impacts to my business on my locality. In brief, the takeaway from the Slush GIA last year was more learning, networks and contacts than investments, but it allowed me to read investor's mind and their requirements to invest on startups and ideas.
- Have vision to solve pressing challenges globally (There are no limitations in terms of sector or geographical focus)
- Have solution that supports the sustainable development goals (SDGs). Know more about SDGs.
- Have a potential to scale
- Have skills and drive to succeed
- Have a business idea that has gained some traction, but is still in an early phase
- Have at least a working prototype
- Is legally registered
- Have revenue plus funding less than 1 million Euro.
So far in Nepal, we have had events that encourage startups. We are at a phase now where we can move towards the next level where we take these products/services to a bigger platform. Slush Global Impact Accelerator is that platform.
Slush Global Impact Accelerator Pitching Competition is an opportunity for the companies looking for investors, customers, media exposure or mentoring. Companies can interact directly with the global audience and community of experts, through the event.
- In Nepal, this could be an opportunity to be among the 15 most promising startups that get to pitch in front of a selection team in Nepal for final nomination to the global event.
- Top 3 teams chosen from the 15 teams will get a chance to be interviewed by the final selection team in Helsinki.
- Upon selection by the final selection team, team(s) will be a Global Impact Accelerator Participant in Helsinki, Finland.
- Online pre-mentoring program organised for all the selected participants;
- Helsinki boot camp program in November.
- Skills workshops and capacity building with the leaders from all around the world
- Industry specific matchmaking sessions co-organised with the leading organisations
Access to Slush 2017
- Slush matchmaking tool for organizing 1-on-1 meetings with investors
- Opportunity to be featured in Slush 100 Pitching Competition & Slush Impact Showcase
- Networking with NGOs, institutions, startups, media, and other stakeholders from Nordics and beyond.
- Access to side events, such as Founders Day, organized during the Slush Week.
Transportation, accommodation and other program related costs will be covered by Slush.
- Doko Recyclers Pvt. Ltd.
- Green Bamboo Creation
- Kathmandu Waste Concern Pvt. Ltd.
- Khaalisisi Management Pvt. Ltd.
- Metro Tarkari Pvt. Ltd.
- Muskan Bringing Back Smiles Pvt. Ltd.
- MyEarth Eco-Friendly Bags
- Nepal Packaging & Coolstorage Pvt. Ltd. (NPAC)
- Research Association for Interactive Technology Pvt. Ltd.
- Semantic Creation Pvt. Ltd.
- Smart Krishi Nepal
The participation/selection process consists of five main steps:
- Online application for the Slush Global Impact Accelerator Pitching Competition via YoungInnovations.
- Best 15 teams will be selected from the online application process and they will be allowed to pitch face to face at the Slush Global Impact Accelerator Pitching Competition in Kathmandu.
- Three best teams to be shortlisted from the Pitching Competition and their names will be presented to the Final Selection Committee from Helsinki.
- All the shortlisted teams will be interviewed online by representatives from the Final Selection Committee.
- Teams selected by Final Selection Committee (1 person per team) will be invited to the program in Helsinki!*
*At least one entrepreneur from each Pitching Competition will be invited to take part in the Slush 2017 Global Impact Accelerator Program.
Pradip Kumar KoiralaMinistry of Industry Joint Secretary (Industrial Promotion Division)
Pradip Kumar KoiralaMinistry of Industry
Mr. Pradip Kumar Koirala is a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Industry, Director General at the Industrial Promotion Division. Koirala is also the Member Secretary of Industrial and Investment Promotion Board (IIPB). He is an author of a number of articles in public administration which are found online. He is also a member of the Editorial Board of Nepal Disaster Report 2015 (MoHA) and has also co-authored in an article on “Emerging Trends in Disaster Management Policy in Nepal”
Karmath DangolCo-Founder Nepal Entrepreneurs’ Hub (NeHub)
Karmath Dangol is an Entrepreneur and IT Professional with two decades of experience in tech industry and startups both in Nepal and USA. His passion for entrepreneurship has led him Co-Found Nepal Entrepreneurs’ Hub (NeHub). NeHub is dedicated to nurturing entrepreneurship, support startup communities, contribute towards a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem and facilitate investment in budding, small and medium enterprises. While in the US, he Co-Founded of NextAction.net (acquired by datalogix.com and now part of Oracle ), a direct marketing company that provides a cooperative database for catalog acquisition marketing. He pioneered and lead Internet Marketing Solutions team at eBay. He also helped Quantitative Marketing team at Google Inc. as a consultant.
Janne KarjalainenLecturer and LAB Master Oulu University of Applied Sciences
Janne KarjalainenLecturer and LAB Master
Karjalainen (MSc, Technology, Electrical Engineering). He has worked at Nokia in various roles in software development projects. He is currently Lecturer and LAB Master at the Oulu University of Applied Sciences running DevLAB at Oamk LABs (www.oamklabs.fi).
Juna MathemaManaging Director Blitz Media Private Limited
Juna MathemaManaging Director
Juna Mathema co- founded Blitz Media in 2002 as an advertising and research agency. She has been heading research since 2006 and has established Blitz as a top research agency in Nepal. Juna has managed and conducted over 200 research projects ranging from health, education, water, political, socio-economic and market. She has been an advocate of creating favorable employment opportunities. She feels deeply for the cause of woman and the need to give them equal opportunities to manage their lives independently.
Juna is a member of National Governing Council of Nepalese Young Entrepreneur Forum (NYEF) since 2015 and promotes entrepreneurship among the youth of Nepal especially women entrepreneurs. Juna's academic background includes an MBA in 2001 and a Master's in Sociology in 2012.
Tara Prasad PanthiCo-Founder & Program Manager Daayitwa (Rural Enterprise Accelerator Program)
Tara Prasad PanthiCo-Founder & Program Manager at Daayitwa
Tara is Co‐founder and Program Manager of REAP at Daayitwa. He is also the Manager of Nepal Leadership Academy. He obtained his MSc. in Economics and Business Management degree from Aalto University, Finland and a BA in Economics from Middlebury College, USA. He has worked as a business consultant and entrepreneurship specialist for various startup businesses, social enterprises, and NGOs such as the World Bank and UNICEF in the US, East Africa, Europe, and Nepal.
Announcement of 15 finalists
Pitching and Announcement of Winners
- 2,300 startups
- 17,500 attendees
- 1,100 venture capital investors
- 600 journalists
- 120 countries
Slush is Europe’s leading startup and technology event, which connects startups and tech talent with top-tier international investors, executives, and media. It is a non-profit event organized by a community of entrepreneurs, investors, students and festival organizers. Although Slush has grown from a 300-person event to become one of the leading events of its kind in the world, the philosophy behind it has remained the same: to help the next generation of great, world-conquering companies forward. Know Slush